Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Ms. Zhu Xia Was Tortured until Mental Collapse  
Print  E-mail 



        Before the persecution          After released from the Brainwashing Center


Ms. Zhu Xia, female, 32, is a resident of Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. Address: Apt. 1, Unit 3, Building 4, 5 Jinrong Road, Guangrong District, Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. Tel: +86-28-7643584.


Since July 1999, Ms. Zhu has often been arbitrarily detained for practicing Falun Gong, including during her pregnancy and while she was nursing. In January 2001, when Ms. Zhu went to Tiananmen Square to appeal to the government, a policeman beat her and hit her eight-month-old baby with a baton. The next day, a Chengdu government official whipped the baby with a leather belt. On August 15, 2001, the police sentenced Ms. Zhu to forced labor and sent her to the Nanmusi Women’s Labor Camp, where she was detained for 14 months. The labor camp authorities tortured her in every conceivable way. Guard Zhang Xiaofang instructed the inmates to stuff her mouth with a dirty cloth. Then they dragged her over ground that was covered with rough tiny rocks. The skin on her back, hips, and thighs was torn and covered with rocks and blood. Then Zhang and some inmates tortured her on a “tiger bench.”[1] They put several bricks on her thighs. One inmate then sat on the bricks, and moved around a lot to intensify the pain. Later Zhang and the inmates took turns grabbing her hair and hitting her head against the wall. Zhang told her, “I will hit your head until you have a cerebral concussion and become a lunatic.” Besides the physical torture, she was often not allowed to use the restroom, bathe, or change her clothes. Inmates were ordered to curse her. In the summer, she was forced to remain exposed to the sun, and in the winter she was forced to stand outside wearing hardly any clothing. She was deprived of sleep for long periods of time. She was often forced to stand or sit for a long time without blinking.


On October 27, 2002, Ms. Zhu’s term ended, but the chief of the Chengdu City “610 Office,” He Yuanfu, transferred her to the Pengzhou City brainwashing center, the Pi County brainwashing center, and the Xinlu County brainwashing center in succession to further persecute her. Because of the continued sleep deprivation and physical and mental torture in the brainwashing centers, she had a mental breakdown. She often hallucinated or was delirious. Even after her mental breakdown, He Yuanfu refused to release her. As a result, her mental condition worsened, becoming very severe. She often cried or laughed at any time of day or night, knocked on doors and windows, and excreted everywhere. She was finally released on April 2, 2004.


Ms. Zhu’s husband, Wang Shilin, also a Falun Gong practitioner, is still detained in the Xinhua Labor Camp in Mianyang City.



[1] In the “tiger bench” torture, the victim’s knees and thighs are tied to a narrow wooden or iron bench, with the hands tied behind the back. Increasing the number of boards or bricks inserted under his feet creates excruciating pain. The police often use this device to immobilize Falun Gong practitioners to force-feed them.

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved