Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
The Unrelenting Persecution of Cheng’s Family  
Print  E-mail 


Cheng’s family lives in the town of Goumenzi in Lingyuan City, Liaoning Province. Everyone in her family, except her youngest brother, practices Falun Gong. In 1999, when the persecution of Falun Gong began their lives were irrevocably changed. In July 22, 1999 the police ransacked their home, confiscating all their Falun Gong books, videos, audiocassettes, and other materials. Since then Cheng’s family has suffered repeated extortion, torture, brainwashing, forced labor, and heartbreak for no other reason but that they will not give up their practice of Falun Gong.


Ms. Cheng Ling, 20 years old, the second youngest child


Cheng Ling was only 17 in March of 2001 when the police in her hometown arrested her for hand copying a Falun Gong book. For this innocent act, she was detained for four months. Soon after, in September 2001, police detained her again for 15 days. And yet again in October and November police detained her and attempted to brainwash her into giving up her beliefs. The Lingyuan City Public Security Bureau then sentenced this 17- year-old to two years in the notorious Masanjia Labor Camp in Liaoning Province where they tortured her and forced her into hard, long hours of forced labor and continual brainwashing sessions. Despite the hardships she was forced to endure, after her release Cheng remained true to her belief and continued to let others know about the suffering of Falun Gong practitioners. For this, the Shuangta police in Chaoyang City arrested her and put her in the Chaoyang City Prison in July 2003. She protested by going on a hunger strike for 25 days. The police responded by force-feeding her. The Chaoyang City Court then sentenced her to seven years in prison.


Ms. Cheng Yun, 21 years old, the oldest child


On September 27, 2000 the local police arrested and detained Cheng Yun, Cheng Ling's older sister in the Lingyuan No. 2 Prison for one month and extorted 500 Yuan from her. She was 17 years old at the time. Then on December 27, 2000, the Lingyuan City Public Security Bureau sentenced her to two years in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp where she was continuously tortured for those two years in an attempt to force her to give up her practice.


Mrs. Zheng Lihua, 50 years old, the mother


In the last four years, the local police have arrested Cheng’s mother, Zheng Lihua seven times. The have attempted to brainwash her, extort money from her, and have thrown her into a forced labor camp. On July 22, 1999, they arrested her for the first time and forced her to pay 200 Yuan. The second time, on September 27, they threw her into the Lingyuan No. 2 Prison for one month and fined her 500 Yuan. Zheng Lihua remained steadfast in her efforts to reveal the truth about the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners and in December 2000, they imprisoned her for two months and forced her to pay a fine of 350 Yuan. In March 2001, they held her for 15 days, in August 2002 they subjected her to 25 days of brainwashing, and on April 25, 2003, the local police imprisoned for 50 days. Later, she was sentenced three years of forced labor in the Masanjia Forced Labor Camp in Liaoning Province.


Mr. Cheng Guanghui, 48 years old, the father


In order to force Cheng’s father, Cheng Guanghui to give up his belief in Falun Gong, the authorities have attempted to brainwash him nine times. The first two times they took him to the Lingyuan No. 2 Prison for brainwashing sessions. Then on December 12, 2000, when he went to Beijing to appeal to the central government, the police arrested and sent him to the Beijing Fangsan City Police Station. There, they interrogated him, punched him, kicked him, forced him to remain in a squatting position, and shocked him with electric batons on his palms, back, neck, and other areas of his body for more than 20 hours. Afterwards they threw him into the No. 2 Prison in Lingyuan for three and a half months. The Lingyuan Public Security Bureau sentenced him to three years detention. During the detention, the guards consistently interrogated him at the Lingyuan Public Security System. One time, a policeman beat him on his back, shoulders, and waist for over two hours using a long plastic tube more than one meter long. On December 19, 2000, the police interrogated him again, using the same method, for almost two hours. In March 2001, police detained him for 15 days for hand copying Falun Gong materials. In September 2001, October 30, 2001 and in August 2002 the local police detained him in the No. 2 Prison and attempted to brainwash him for over 33 days. On April 25, 2003, Chiefs Guo Yaohua and Zhang Yunbin of the local police station, along with other officers, broke into their home searching for Falun Gong materials. They sent him to a brainwashing class and forced him to do hard labor for two and a half months in the Chaoyang City Forced Labor Camp. On September 8, 2003, the Goumenzi "610 Office" Director Pang Yujun, along with other police, climbed over the walls of their home and forced him into another brainwashing class in Chaoyang City for 12 days. Despite every incident of arrest and attempted brainwashing he endured, he did not give up his belief.


The youngest son, 18 years old


Cheng Ling’s brother, who was only 13 years old in 1999, witnessed the arrests and continuous persecution of all his family members. He was left alone to take care of himself and to deal with these terrifying events.

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved