Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Statement from Chen Ying’s Mother  
Print  E-mail 


Chen Ying


On August 19, 1999, CCTV broadcast a report about Chen Ying, a first-year female student at Shuren High School in Jiamusi City, Heilongjiang Province. The report stated that Chen Ying, after attempting suicide a few times, had died from jumping off a train. This report did not tell the true story.


Chen Ying had practiced Falun Gong since May 1996. She was healthy both physically and mentally. She was an intelligent student with an excellent character and was always willing to help others. At school, she was vice-president of her class and active in extracurricular activities. She was an honor student because of her excellence in academics, sports, and morality, and had received many awards. Her teachers and classmates also spoke highly of her. At home, she was a good helper to her mother and her neighbors were quite fond of her.


On July 22, 1999, CCTV announced the ban on Falun Gong. That evening, Chen Ying went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong. On July 29, a relative found her at Tiananmen Square in Beijing and took her back to Jiamusi City by train. When the train stopped at Qinhuangdao City, Chen Ying left when the relatives stopped at a store. The relative contacted the Qinhuangdao Railway Station for help, but they were unable to find her. Chen Ying was later arrested in Beijing and put on a train with a train crew officer assigned to watch her. During a two-hour break at a station, Chen Ying escaped while left unattended. On August 2, Chen Ying was arrested in Beijing again and sent to Jiamusi City’s Liaison Office in Beijing; however, she managed to escape the next day.


 On August 4, Chen Ying’s father, her school principal, and a school security officer arrived in Beijing to take her home. They searched for her for a week but could not find her. A person in charge of the Liaison Office promised to inform Chen Ying’s family members and the school principal as soon as she was found. On August 15, Chen Ying was again arrested in Beijing, but no one notified either the school or her family members. On August 16, Chen Ying was escorted back towards Jiamusi City. On the way to Jiamusi City, at around 2:34 p.m., Chen Ying went to the washroom and jumped off the train from the washroom window. The train ran about another 10 km before it fully stopped. The head of the train crew and Officer Li rushed to find Chen Ying and sent her to the Fengrun Hospital in Fengrun City.


At about 5:00 p.m. on August 16, one police officer took me from my workplace to a police station. I was told that I would not be allowed to see my daughter if I still practiced Falun Gong. Because I wanted to see my daughter, I lied and told them that I no longer practiced Falun Gong. They did not tell me that my daughter was already dead. When we arrived at the Fengrun Hotel in Fengrun City after 9:00 p.m. on August 17, Officer Li told us that they had discontinued her oxygen supply on the evening of August 16 when she could not be revived. They had then sent her body to the Fengrun Crematory for freezing.


On August 18, in order to see my daughter’s body, I was forced to lie again, on a TV interview conducted by the Tianjin TV station on behalf of CCTV, by saying that I had completely stopped practicing Falun Gong. Then, on the same day, I was accompanied by police officers and taken to the crematorium to see my daughter’s body. However, I was not allowed to see the cremation, and was forced to leave Fengrun City after 2:00 p.m.


Now, I must tell the truth. What I said to the police and media reporters were all lies, including the story that was published in the “Sanjiang Evening Newspaper.


On March 29, 2000, I went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong as my daughter had done before. I was arrested on the train from Shenyang City to Beijing and sent to a detention center. On April 3, 2000, I was escorted back to Jiamusi City by staff from both my workplace and the police station. I was detained at a detention center for 47 days.



type=Case, Children; type=Case, Family; location=Heilongjiang, Jiamusi; location=Beijing;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved