Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
A Former Judge Was Prohibited to Do Falun Gong Exercises and Died from Recurring Leukemia  
Print  E-mail 


Mr. Hu Qingyun was a former judge from the Jiangxi Province Superior Court. In 1997 he was diagnosed with leukemia. Doctors from five different hospitals tried to treat Mr. Hu, but failed to control the leukemia, and informed his family to begin funeral arrangements. As Mr. Hu waited for the certain death, he began practicing Falun Gong. Surprisingly, his health improved rapidly and soon he recovered from the leukemia.


When Falun Gong was banned in July 1999, he wrote letters to government leaders describing how Falun Gong restored his health. As a result, he was detained twice. The police ransacked his home and confiscated his cash savings, two private house title certificates, and his valuable personal property.


Because Mr. Hu was not allowed to practice Falun Gong exercises while in detention, he had relapse of leukemia, and began to bleed from his mouth and nose and developed blood spots all over his body. He lost consciousness twice. Fearing that he would die in the detention center, the local authorities released him on August 9, 1999.


Mr. Hu resumed his Falun Gong exercises at home, and recovered his health again.


The local authorities, however, publishing a slanderous article against Falun Gong, claiming that Mr. Hu’s illness was cured in a hospital, not by practicing Falun Gong, and that Mr. Hu told untruth. In response, Mr. Hu wrote a letter telling his true story and posted his letter on Falun Gong’s Internet site on February 19, 2000. As a retaliation, the authorities arrested Mr. Hu on April 21, 2000. After nine months in detention, on January 10, 2001, the No. 1 Regional Court in Nanchang sentenced him to a seven-year prison term. He was not allowed to practice Falun Gong. During his detention, his leukemia recurred, and on March 22, 2001, he died in the Jiangxi Prison Hospital.



Hu Qingyun’s Letter to China’s Leaders


Dear President Jiang Zemin, Premier Zhu Rongji and other leaders concerned,


I was an officer of the Superior Court of Jiangxi province, and a former Communist Party member. I worked in the field of law and regulation for 16 years. I have never been against the Party or the government, and I am always honest and appreciative to the Party and the government.... I hereby report to you my current situation and the truth of my experience.


On August 21, 1999, the ‘Nanchang Evening’-paper published in its headline that I was instructed by the assistance center to write an article about Falun Gong giving me a “second life.” … The article stated that I was “hospitalized six times while practicing Falun Gong, from June 28, 1997 to the present. ...” The newspaper used this to accuse Falun Gong of cheating the world.


The truth is that before I practiced Falun Gong, I suffered from many sicknesses including stomachaches, sore throats, nose infections, pain in my neck, insufficient supply of blood to my brain and regenerated anemia. … In 1997, I developed an incurable disease, acute leukemia, which is one of the most difficult types to cure among all forms of leukemia. During emergency treatment, I was also infected with hepatitis B and C (the hardest to be cured among the different types of hepatitis), and pulmonary tuberculosis. ...


At the last moment of my life, I started to practice Falun Gong... Then, a miracle really happened. My life was prolonged. ... Not long after I began practicing, I gradually stopped chemical treatments, blood transfusions, medications and all other treatments. My experience showed that there was a remarkable effect in my body due to the cultivation and practice of Falun Gong. ...


However, the newspaper intentionally claimed that my being hospitalized five times prior to the practice of Falun Gong had actually happened after or during my practice, disregarding the fact that I never again went back to the hospital for treatment. … They made up this lie to deceive people.


During the several months I was in the hospital, my medical expenses were as high as 320,000 Yuan, and I almost died in the hospital several times. … The medical scientists and doctors could not save or prolong my life. However, through my practice of Falun Gong, I was able to live. This is a fact that nobody can possibly deny.… The heavy financial burden and the mental pressure on my family were also relieved. Also the government saved a large amount in medical expenses. ...


In August 1999, Nanchang TV stations and newspapers broadcast the news that I was once again “sent” to the hospital. A reporter interviewed one of the senior doctors … who had never met me before and did not know anything about my treatment history. This doctor said, “Hu Qingyun left after his leukemia was cured by our hospital. That has nothing to do with Falun Gong.” I asked this doctor why he lied. He told me that anybody would say the same thing under this “big climate” and he asked me not be too serious about it.


The truth is: On July 21, 1999, I was detained by the police under the allegation of “disturbing the social order with other people.” …


In jail, I was not allowed to practice or read Falun Gong books. Within a few days, I began to bleed from my mouth and nose and I developed blood spots all over my body. I lost consciousness twice. ... After the examination, the doctors said I had very low blood pressure, that the leukemia was really serious, and that it would be better to get treatment as soon as possible. ...


In December 1999, I was dismissed from my job because I participated in a Falun Gong petition to the provincial government and wrote an article about my experience with Falun Gong. ...


The purpose of this letter is to invite you to find out the truth about the persecution I suffered. Let’s imagine, how could a person - a leukemia patient - endure such persecution and detention in jail? … Because I practiced Falun Gong I had the ability to endure so much tribulation and persecution. As a person who was sentenced by the hospitals to “death” several times, there is nothing that I can’t let go of. I am not interested in politics and I will never do anything against the Party and the government. I don’t want to be used by politics to defame Falun Gong. ...


Finally, I would like to say a few words from the bottom of my heart - the truth. Falun Gong practitioners benefit from their practice and cultivation. They understand how to be people of high moral standards, and what it means to be truly good. They don’t believe in preaching, or “mind control”… Is it possible to ask them or force them to give up their practice?


Hu Qingyun

A practitioner in Jiangxi Province


type=Case,Death; type=Case, Right to Health; location=Jiangxi

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved