Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Extrajudicial Execution of Falun Gong Practitioners in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province  
Print  E-mail 

(Cases reported before October 15, 2001)




Since July 20, 1999, thousands of Falun Gong practitioners have been persecuted in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province.  Practitioners have been detained, treated inhumanely and tortured. At least eight practitioners have been executed in institutions throughout the city including schools, detention centers and labor camps. Below is partial list of confirmed executions due to the systematic abuse and torture carried out against Falun Gong practitioners in Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province.




1. Ms. Chen Qiulan Tortured to Death by Police in the Daqing Detention Center



Chen Qiulan, female, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province, died August 24, 2001


Location of Torture and Death:

Daqing City Detention Center, Daqing, Heilongjiang Province




Mr. Hu, Prison Guard, Daqing Detention Center


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Ms. Chen Qiulan was imprisoned in the Daqing Detention Center for distributing literature that told the public the truth about Falun Gong.  On August 24, 2001, she was tortured to death by the police at the Daqing Detention Center.


In July 2001, Chen Qiulan went out to distribute flyers that told the truth about Falun Gong. The police followed, arrested and detained her in the Daqing Detention Center. Chen Quilan endured tremendous torture while she was in the detention center. She developed seizures and lost consciousness as often as three times a day. Even when her condition became critical, the prison guards did not care. When her condition was reported to him, the prison guard, Hu, said, "Don't pay any attention to her. She'll be okay after a while." Under such treatment and torture, Chen Qiulan died at midnight on August 24, 2001, according to officials from the police station.


News Reports:

BBC: Falun Gong women die in detention: [Excerpt]


CNN: China admits to two Falun Gong custody deaths [Excerpt];


AFP: Five female Falun Gong followers tortured to death in China: report;





2.  Mr. Wang Bin Died from Severe Beating and Torture



Wang Bin, male, about 47, resident of Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province


Location of Torture and Death:

Dongfeng Xingchun Labor Camp, Heilongjiang Province




  1. Feng Xi, Director of the Second Team of the Dongfeng Xingchun Labor Camp, Heilongjiang Province
  2. Prisoners of the Dongfeng Xingchun Labor Camp, Heilongjiang Province.


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Wang Bin went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong at the end of May 2000.  He was sentenced to a labor camp. On September 24, he firmly refused to write a guarantee letter (a letter proclaiming that he would no longer practice Falun Gong) at Dongfeng Xingchun Labor Camp in Daqing city. As a result he was severely and repeatedly beaten and tortured.


Wang Bin was severely beaten by 4 or 5 prisoners on the night of September 27, 2000. Feng Xi, the director of the Second Team of the labor camp, instigated the beating (prisoners are rewarded with reduced sentences or are punished for disobeying such orders). The torture caused the artery in his neck and major blood vessels to break. His tonsils were injured, his lymph nodes were crushed and several bones were fractured. He had cigarette burns on the back of his hands and inside his nostrils.  There were also many bruises all over his body. His condition was horrible to look at. He was close to death at that time. Later that night he was tortured again. Finally he lost consciousness. Someone reported his condition to the prison guard and asked him to take Wang Bin to the hospital.


The guard rejected the request, saying that there was no problem and that Wang Bin would wake up in a while. Wang Bin remained unconscious through the next day. When he was finally taken to the hospital, the doctor said it was too late to rescue him. On the night of October 4, he died of severe injuries. The Second Team of the labor camp was dismissed because of this incident. The principal offender and his followers were taken away and their whereabouts are unknown.


News Report:


October 10, 2000 - Agence France Presse (AFP)

October 30, 2000 - Associated Press (AP)

October 30, 2000 - AFP

December 2000, ACTIVE, Amnesty International





3.  Zhang Weixin Tortured to Death during Detention



Zhang Weixin, female, 44, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province, employee of Daqing City Installation Company, died August 31st, 2001



Location of Torture and Death:

Between Beijing and Goubangzi




  1. Police in Tiananmen Square
  2. The Chief of the Security Department of Daqing City Installation Company, phone: (86) 459-571-0415


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Zhang Weixin worked in Unit 3 of the Daqing City Installation Company. On August 26, 2001, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong.  On August 29, officials in Daqing City received a phone call asking someone to bring Zhang Weixin back from Beijing.  On the afternoon of August 31, the people who went to pick her up called to report that she had died on her way back from Goubangzi where she had been detained.


As far as we know, over 20 people (including a coroner) from Daqing City Police Department had been sent to Beijing to bring Ms. Zhang back.  As of the last report, her

body had not been returned to Daqing.  The security department (86 459-571-0415) at Ms. Zhang's workplace confirmed her death to a reporter.





4. Mr. Li Baoshui Tortured and Murdered in Daqing City Detention  Center



Li Baoshui, male, 39, was a human resources manager at the Bureau of Labor in the City of Daqing, Heilongjiang Province, a party member, and a model worker for many years


Location of Torture and Death:

Daqing Detention Center, Heilongjiang Province




Director of the Daqing City Detention Center


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Without a warrant or any other documents and without following any known procedures, Li Baoshui was arrested and held in the Daqing Detention Center on July 22, 1999. He was brought in for what was called a "formal investigation".


Four days later, on the morning of July 26, 1999, the authorities said that Li Baoshui had asked his family to bring him some water. Li Baoshui’s wife saw that her husband had become thin and pallid from the mistreatment and torture. He could hardly open his eyes. Li Baoshui’s wife went home, but before she could calm down, the police called and told her to quickly come back. By then, young 39-year-old Li Baoshui was already dead. His body was lying on the cold cement floor in the police station.




5. Ms. Zhang Tieyan Tortured to Death during Detention



Zhang Tieyan, female, 29, resident of Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. She worked at a Heilongjiang petroleum oil factory (Daqing City’s Lama Dianhua Factory)


Location of Torture and Death:

Saertu District Detention Center, Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province



1.      Deputies at the Ranghu Street Detention Center;

2.      Deputies at the Saertu District Detention Center


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Because Zhang Tieyan refused to sign a guarantee saying she would give up Falun Gong, on April 19, 2000, her office placed her under house arrest for 3 days.  On April 21, she was sent to the Ranghu Street Detention Center for 15 days.  On May 5, she was taken to the Saertu District Detention Center.  At 5:30 am on August 11 she was heard screaming in pain.  She was choking. While her limbs convulsed, her face turned green and her eyes turned pale. In moments she had no pulse. The guards carried her away to the emergency room at Xincun People’s Hospital at 5:50 am.  The cardiograph showed a straight line. She had no pulse.  Zhang Tieyan had passed away.




6. Ms. Cui Xiaojuan Died during Police Custody



Cui Xiaojuan, female, 40, resident of Daqing City, Heilongjiang Province. She was a lecturer at the Daqing City Police Academy


Location of Torture and Death:

Daqing Detention Center, Heilongjiang Province




  1. Daqing Detention Center, Heilongjiang Province
  2. Beijing Changping Detention Center, Beijing Province


A Brief Report of the Incident:


On July 22, 1999, Cui Xiaojuan joined other practitioners to hold a group appeal for Falun Gong in front of the Helongjiang Province Administration Building in Harbin (the capital of the province). From there, she then directly went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was arrested in Tiananmen Square. She was detained at the Beijing Changping Detention Center. Because she would not reveal her name, she was called "Unknown #1." The police physically abused her numerous times.


After she conducted a ten-day hunger strike to protest inhuman treatment at the detention center, they forced her to stand outside under the scorching sun for three days. After she was detained there for about a month, the police from her hometown of Daqing recognized her, brought her back and threw her into the local detention center for 15 days. After her release, because she refused to sign the guarantee letter to give up Falun Gong, she was detained at her workplace. She was allowed no outside contact. Her employer returned her to the detention center for another 15 days, as she still refused to give up Falun Gong. They tried to send her to the labor camp but, as they did not get permission to do so, they continued to hold her illegally at her workplace. On December 30, 1999, because her father signed her name for her on a huge flag that read "Falun Gong is good," (which was then sent to the People's Congress to appeal for Falun Gong), she was sent back to the detention center again. On the way to the detention center, she was allowed to go home to pick up some clothes under police escort. She died while trying to escape from the police.


That was the first time in six months that she had been allowed to go home. Her husband, also a practitioner, wearing handcuffs and ankle shackles, was escorted from the local detention center to attend her funeral.




7. Ms. Ye Xiufeng Died from Torture and Abuse



Ye Xiufeng, female, 65 years old, affiliated with the Administrative Station of the No. 1 Oil Extraction Plant in Daqing City.


Location of Torture and Death:

  1. Qianmen Police Station, Beijing
  2. Saqu Detention Center, Daqing



  1. Police in the Qianmen Police Station, Beijing
  2. Director in the Saqu Detention Center, Daqing


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Ms. Ye Xiufeng went to Beijing to appeal about the persecution of Falun Gong around mid-December 2000. Coming into Tiananmen Square, just as she got hold of one end of the banner she was about to unfurl, the police rushed up and tackled her. She was kicked and beaten while being dragged into a police vehicle to be sent to the Qianmen Police Station. The police threatened to shoot her several times. A week later the police transferred her [back to Daqing] to the Saqu Detention Center. She went on hunger strike for a total of 44 days to protest the detention and persecution.  Later they sent her to yet another center.


By then she had become very weak. Food could not even be forced into her. On the day of the Chinese New Year, February 5, 2000, when the doctor came to administer the force-feeding, nothing could be forced down her. The feeding tube had punctured both her stomach and her esophagus.


On the 45th day, her condition was extremely poor. Being afraid that she might die in the center, the police released her. Before letting her go, she was put through another round of threats.


When she finally returned home, police from the station stopped by and told her, "The total cost of going to Beijing to pick you up amounted to 7,000 Yuan RMB and you are responsible for its repayment." Even though she was very weak, a policeman came knocking at her door each night, constantly disturbing her. One night police rang  doorbell for half an hour. Since she was so weak, she did not have the strength to go downstairs to answer the door. Also her lock was broken.  The police continued to harass her, even installing a monitoring device in her residence.


They even cut the tiny amount of monthly living allowance for this lone elderly woman. Prolonged detention and torture left her with constant and severe chest pain. Unable to eat or to take care of herself, she grew weaker and weaker.  She died on the evening of March 18th.





type=Case, Death; type=Case, Group; location=Heilongjiang, Daqing;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved