Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Ten Falun Gong Practitioners Tortured to Death at the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp  
Print  E-mail 


As of September 2003, at least 10 Falun Gong practitioners had been tortured to death within the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp in Changchun City, Jilin Province. The 10 practitioners ages ranged from 28 to 65 years, and included a father and his son. Starting from the end of 2001, Wang Yunkun, Secretary of the Jilin Province Party Committee, and Lin Yanzhi, Vice Secretary of the Jilin Province Party Committee started devising and directing a large-scale persecution of Falun Gong practitioners at the Camp. In March 2003, Wang Yunkun required them to "Achieve a 95% conversion rate (percentage of practitioners forced to give up their belief) by any means and at any cost"

Mr. Tian Junlong, male, 45, lived in Majiatun, Wuyi Township, Yitong County, Jilin Province. In the fall of 2002, he was sent to a forced labor camp for distributing informational materials on the persecution of Falun Gong. Authorities sent him to the Weizigou Labor Camp, where he was savagely tortured. Three months later, he was transferred to the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp in Changchun City, where he was tortured to the brink of death.

To try to avoid responsibility for Mr. Tianís death, the labor camp authorities sent him home on September 1, 2003. By that time he could neither speak nor walk, and he cried when he saw his family as he lay in bed. He passed away on September 21, 2003. After he died, his ailing father was so grief-stricken that his health declined drastically, and he too passed away on October 2, 2003.

Mr. Tian was the tenth Falun Gong practitioner confirmed to have been tortured to death by the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp. The other nine practitioners are Jin Junjie, Zhang Quanfu, Song Cangguang, Ding Yunde, Wang Ji, Zheng Yongping, Zhang Qifa, Gao Chengjie, and Bai Xiaojun. All policemen and some inmates of the Chaoyanggou Camp cruelly beat practitioners using 10,000-volt electric batons, truncheons, ropes, hoe handles, handcuffs, V-belts and axes, etc. Usually about a dozen of them would focus on beating one practitioner. The torture were so brutal that blood could be seen all over the walls.

Among those ten practitioners, sixty-five year old Mr. Zhang Quanfu and thirty-eight year old Mr. Zhang Qifa were father and son. Mr. Zhang Quanfa had been a man full of vigor and vitality. At the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp, he was tortured so badly that he was reduced to only skin and bones. He defecated pus and blood, and lost the ability to walk, as his muscles were atrophied. On January 2, 2003, he was tortured to death by the 2nd Brigade of the 6th Division in the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp. Two weeks later his son, Mr. Zhang Qifa, was released from the same labor camp. However he had already been tortured to the brink of death. His body was covered with bruises, hard swellings and boils, and his legs hurt so much he couldn't walk. He also had difficulty breathing. He passed away at noon the next day of his release, on January 19, 2003.

Mr. Bai Xiaojun, male, 35, was a professor at the Northeast Normal University in Jilin Province. He was sent to a labor camp because he had gone to Beijing to appeal for an end to the persecution of Falun Gong. In the Chaoyanggou Labor Camp, he refused the brainwashing. He had been beaten until he had boils all over his body and no good skin left. To punish him for refusing to be brainwashed, policemen instigated prisoners to pour salted water all over his body. On July 18, 2003, Mr. Bai passed away. Before his death, he had been unable to eat for a month and a half, unable to get up from bed for three weeks, and unable to drink water for the last two weeks of his life. However, the labor camp officials did nothing to save him and just let him perish as a casualty of their persecution.

type=Case, Death; type=Case, Group; type=Labor Camp, Chaoyanggou Labor Camp; location=Jilin, Changchun;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved