Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Mr. Yan Hai Dies after Extended Torture  
Print  E-mail 

Mr. Yan Hai, 37 years old, was a farmer from Tumu Village, Tumu Township, Huailai County, Zhangjiakou City, Hebei Province. At 9:00 p.m. on October 30, 2002, policeman Wang Guohong from the Langshan Police Station (the station recently changed its name to the Tumu Police Station in order to avoid responsibility) led a dozen policemen to break into and ransack Yan Hai's home and arrest him, because he practiced Falun Gong.

From the time of his arrest until his death he endured various psychological  and physical torture. The entities responsible for torturing Yan Hai include the Huailan County Police Department, the Tumu Police Station, the Huailai Criminal Police Squad, the Huailai County Detention Center, and the Shisanli Detention Center in Zhangjiakou City.

At the Huailai County Detention Center, the police tortured Yan Hai for over 30 hours non-stop. At one point the police from the Huailai County Police Department and the Huailai Criminal Police Squad tied Yan's hands behind his back with one hand over the shoulder and the other hand against the lower back. The police then applied a great deal of force to pull the two hands toward one another and handcuffed them together. They then placed bricks under the handcuffs to cause even greater pain. Police also used a torture method called "shaking handcuffs," in which, they forced Yan Hai to sit on a small bench and handcuffed his hands behind his back. Then they tied a rope to the handcuffs and pulled the rope away from his body with full force. At the same time two policemen shook the small bench. The handcuffs became tighter and tighter until they cut deep into his flesh, causing him to faint from the pain. The flesh on his wrists was cut and bleeding.

The police also used a manual telephone to generate high voltage electricity through Yan Hai's entire body. Each time he was shocked, he would let out a heart-wrenching scream. He passed out on the spot.

The police continuously subjected him to brainwashing in an attempt to force him to give up his practice of Falun Gong. Qu Xiaolin was the "instructor" at the detention center responsible for attempting to brainwash Yan Hai.

Yan Hai was jailed and tortured for one year and 24 days. On November 14, 2003, in an extremely weak condition, due to the torture he was subjected to, he was transferred to the Shisanli Detention Center. On November 22, 2003, seeing that he was on the verge of death, the Shisanli Detention Center sent him to the 251 Hospital. At 4:00 a.m. on November 24, Yan Hai died due to extended torture.

At the time of his death, witnesses observed that his entire body was swollen and had turned white, including his mouth and tongue. His mouth and nose were stuffed with cotton. On November 26, 2003, the police informed Yan Hai's family of his death. On November 27, when his family members went to the hospital to take a look at his body, more than ten armed policemen were guarding the site and did not leave his family alone with his body.

type=Case, Death; type=Case, Torture; type=Detention Center, Huailai County Detention Center; location=Hebei, Zhangjiakou;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved