Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Tan Chengqiang, Detained for Telling the Truth about Falun Gong, Dies from Punitive Force-Feeding  
Print  E-mail 

Mr. Tan Chengqiang, male, in his forties, resident of Hongcheng Village, Handian Town, Shuangcheng City, Heilongjiang Province.


Mr. Tan Chengqiang was arrested and detained twice for going to Beijing to appeal to the government to stop the persecution of Falun Gong. In August 1999, he was detained for 15 days. During his next arrest in September of the same year, the police confiscated 200 Yuan that they found on him, and sent to the Yimianpo Labor Camp where he was sentenced to two years of forced labor. During this sentence he was often tortured by being forced to stay in the position of "flying the airplane." He had to bend far forward, and keep his head under a bed, while his hands were stretched upward from the back. Several inmates were ordered to watch him. If his hands came down, an inmate had to poke his hand with a needle. In Mr. Tanís case, he fainted repeatedly during this torture. Other times, he was kicked until he fell under the bed.


Mr. Tanís family members had to hand over 500 Yuan before they were allowed to visit him. In May 2001, the police confiscated property belonging to Mr. Tanís family. Then they took his wife, Guo Jinglan, to prison for a day before releasing her.


On May 18, 2003, the ď610 Office[1]Ē in Shuangcheng City arrested Mr. Tan after the village head, Wang Hongsheng and villager Liu Hongguo informed on him, because he told them the truth about the persecution of Falun Gong. He was held in the Second Detention Center in Shuangcheng City where he went on hunger strike to protest his detention. He was force-fed and, when on the verge of death, was sent to a hospital emergency room. There Mr. Tan was found to have complications arising from liquid filling his lungs. Doctors could not save his life. The ď610 OfficeĒ ordered Mr. Tanís family to take him home. On arriving there, the village head, Wang Hongsheng, told him that, should his condition improve, he would be arrested again.


He passed away at 10:00 p.m. on July 19, 2003, only days after his return home.






[1] The 610 Office is an agency specifically created to persecute Falun Gong, with absolute power over each level of administration in the Party and all other political or judicial systems.


type=Case, Death; type=Case, Freedom of Expression; type=Detention Center, Shuangcheng City Second Detention Center; location=Heilongjiang, Shuangcheng;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved