Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Shi ZhongyanTortured to Death at Jinzhou City Labor Camp, Liaoning Province  
Print  E-mail 

Mr.  Shi Zhongyan, 45, from Jinzhou City, Liaoning Province, was tortured at the Jinzhou City Labor Camp, and died in the PLA 205 Hospital at 1 a.m. on April 26, 2003. Mr. Shi  was a resident of Anleli, Linghe District, Jinzhou City, Liaoning Province, and an employee of the Jinzhou Department Store.

On October 29, 1999, Mr. Shi went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was arrested by Jinzhou police. He was released on December 26, 1999, after his family paid 2000 Yuan to the Political and Judiciary Committee of Linghe District.

Mr. Shi along with other practitioners were arrested again by police in Tiananmen Square on June 21, 2000.  On July 27, 2000, Mr. Shi was sentenced to two years at Jinzhou City Labor Camp. He was assigned to do heavy labor with the Fifth Team. The average work day ranged from 12 - 20 hours, with little if no rest days. After work, he was forced to attend brainwashing classes. Policeman Gao Yang beat Mr. Shi many times, rupturing one of his eardrums.

On October 16, 2000, Mr. Shi was locked into a "strict control" group and tortured. The camp director He forced him to sit straight-backed on stools from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m., holding his knees with both hands, with both legs drawn in closely. Mr. Shi was not allowed to move, not allowed to talk, and were forced to watch videos defaming Falun Gong. They were only allowed to use the toilet three times per day. In the "strict control" group,  police had prisoners take turns to monitor practitioners 24 hours a day, and deprived their sleep for as long as  7 days at a time, keeping them awake by means of electric shocks or hitting them with wooden planks.

As of November 1, 2000, Mr. Shi was continuously kept under strict control, and forced to attend the brainwashing class at the camp. One time, Mr. Shi was dragged by prisoner from the top of his bed to the floor and beaten.

On the evening of February 12, 2001, at 6 p.m., when police ordered prisoners to beat practitioners with kicks and punches. Mr. Shi was beaten and fell to the floor. At 4 p.m. on the afternoon of February 13, 2001, Director Zhang Haiping and Secretary Jin Fuli arrived with several dozen police, who separated Mr. Shi and five other Falun Gong practitioners. They were handcuffed all the time. Prisoner Wang Dianwu was rewarded with a more than six-month early release ,because he beat up Mr. Shi.

Between April and May 2001, Mr. Shi was repeatedly shocked by electric batons and detained in a new strict control group. When he did a hunger strike for more then twenty days, he was forced into an Iron Chair, his hands and legs cuffed, and he was force-fed.

By June 12, 2002, Mr. Shi had been tortured in the labor camp for two years, but because of his refusal to give up his beliefs, his term was extended for another ten months. On April 21, 2003, his new release date, his sentence was once again extended.

On the morning of April 25, 2003, police in the Jinzhou City Labor Camp contacted Mr. Shi's family, saying that he suddenly got sick, had difficulty breathing, lost consciousness, and had been sent to the 205 Hospital Respiratory Department for a rescue effort. Eyewitnesses reports indicated that at the time Mr. Shi lost consciousness, his toes had been bruised to the point of being purple, and that it appeared he had been dragged along the ground during a force-feeding episode.

Mr. Shi never regained consciousness after being sent to the hospital. He passed away on the morning of April 26, at 1 a.m. Witnesses said that the police hurriedly took his body away, and despite his family's attempts to see the body, they were not given an opportunity to examine it and police sent the body to the cremation the night before.

type=Case, Death; type=Labor Camp, Jinzhou City Labor Camp; location=Liaoning, Jinzhou;

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved