Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
72-Year-Old Sun Xueyan Tortured to Death by Beipiao Police in Liaoning Province  
Print  E-mail 



Ms. Sun Xueyan, 72, was a resident of Beipiao City, Liaoning Province.


On the morning of January 30, 2002, three undercover policemen abducted Ms. Sun when she handed out the information materials to people. Since the materials contain the truth information of the persecution against Falun Gong practitioner. She was sent to Guanshan Police Station in Beipiao City.  The director of the police station, wearing heavy boots, violently kicked Ms. Sun several times. As a result, Ms. Sun's legs were covered with bruises. Afterwards, the director splashed a mug of cold tea on her, and immediately, the chief of the local 610 Office threw a mug of cold water on her. Her face and body were soaking wet. To humiliate her, the police forcibly dragged her on the street and compelled her to stand at an intersection, in the cold windy winter. By Ms. Sunís side, the police put a big placard reading, "Person who pasted Falun Gong posters". They also brought in some TV reporters to videotape her, and the video was broadcasted many times in the TV station. Local newspapers also published news of her arrest. The police ransacked her home and took away Falun Gong materials and her personal belongings worth thirty thousand RMB[1] .


In the evening, Ms. Sun was sent to the local Public Security Bureau where she was continuously interrogated for six days and six nights without being allowed to sleep. They tried to coerce her to disclose the source of the materials. They made her sit on a sofa day and night and took turns watching her. Whenever she closed her eyes, they would wake her up; they did not allow her to shut her eyes 24 hours a day. On the sixth day, Ms. Sun was sent to another office and interrogated again. During the six days, she was not given any food or water. In the end, they sent Ms. Sun to Beipiao City Detention Center.

In the Beipiao City Detention Center, Ms. Sun went a hunger strike to protest the arbitrary detention. On the afternoon of the eighth day of Ms. Sun's hunger strike, the police feared of being held accountable if she died in the detention center, and then told her family to take her home. After Ms. Sun returned home, she learned that on the day she was abducted her daughter-in-law and granddaughter had gone to the police station to looking for her, however, themselves were interrogated for quite a while. They were asked where the Falun Gong materials came from. Ms. Sun's daughter-in-law said that she did not know. The police officers then slammed their fists on the table with anger and forcibly asked Ms. Sun's 13-year-old granddaughter: "If you don't tell me, your grandma will not be released and your mother will not go home before the New Year. How could you live by yourself?" The girl was so scared that she cried loudly.

Only three days after Ms. Sun returned home, when she had still not recovered and was lying in bed unable to rise, at 1:30 a.m. four police officers forcefully knocked on her door, waking up Ms. Sun's neighbors. They broke into Ms. Sun's home and searched everywhere for a long time. Just after the Chinese Lunar New Year, a police van showed up every day outside her home to watch her for two weeks. After the plain-clothes police withdrew, police officers from the local police station went to the market to find Ms. Sun's daughter-in-law, who ran her business there, and asked: "Where did your mother-in-law go last night?" Ms. Sun's daughter-in-law said: "She is not even able to rise from bed, where could she go?" Later, the police officers went to her home, saw her lying in bed and then searched her pillow. They did not find any Falun Gong books and then left. Since then, the police often went to Ms. Sun's home to harass her. They held handcuffs in their hands, and each time they went to her home they ransacked it. They kept harassing her for a month.

At around 5 p.m. on July 17, 2002, four or five policemen once again broke into Ms. Sun's home, forcibly pushed her into a police van and sent her to Beipiao City Detention Center. Ms. Sun went on hunger strike to protest the persecution. During her hunger strike, she passed out. Later, she could eat a little, but her health became worse in the detention. Her fever would not go away and her condition became serious. The police reported this to their superiors but received the reply that during the 16th Party Congress session, on signal Falun Gong practitioners could not be released. Only after November 18, 2002 could practitioners be set free. On November 13, 2002 Ms. Sun became critically ill and near death. Only at this point did the Mayor of Beipiao City agree to release her. After her family members took her home, Ms. Sun continued to run a fever and was unable to eat and unable to relieve herself on her own. On January 23, 2003, Ms. Sun passed away.


[1] In that part of China, an average urban worker's monthly salary is about 500 RMB.

type=Case, Death; type=Case, Women; location=Liaoning, Beipiao

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved