Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Falun Gong Practitioner Yu Wenjiang Died in Custody  
Print  E-mail 


Yu Wenjiang, male, 56, resident of Siping city, Jilin Province


Location of Torture and Death:

Siping Detention Center, Jilin Province, China



Guards at Siping Detention Center, Jilin Province


A brief report of the incident:


On December 18, 2000, Yu Wenjiang stepped through the door to his home, not knowing that a police officer was secretly waiting for him. This police officer began beating him as soon as he walked in the door. Then he took Yu to the police station. 


Yu's home was searched and over 1,000 Falun Gong materials, a few dozen banners and many Falun Gong books were confiscated. While in police custody Yu refused to co-operate or to disclose any further information. Because of this he was brutally beaten. On December 19,2000 he was transferred to Siping Detention Center.


Following Yu's arrest, his wife, two daughters and a son, who were also practitioners, were arrested. His 16 year-old son was later released due to his age, but all other family members were detained at the Detention Center.


Upon arriving at the center, Yu went on a hunger strike. At this detention center there were over thirty other practitioners. On December 21, all of these practitioners went on a hunger strike. On December 23, in order to prevent the hunger strike the practitioners were force-fed. Although it appeared to be milk, one practitioner's description of the "milk" was that it was extremely salty and was contained in spring water bottles. To perform this force-feeding each practitioner's hands, feet and head were forcibly constrained by other people at the prison and their noses held, which made feeding through the mouth possible. Yu managed to free himself from the force-feeding but a few days later, the practitioners were again force-fed using a tube. During the force-feeding, he bit the tube tightly and would not let the liquid go into his stomach. Later he was beaten.


On December 29, the police let his wife and daughters visit him, thinking they could talk Yu into eating. When Yu saw them, he asked them to urge his son to go to Tiananmen Square to appeal for Falun Gong. He also said that he would continue to do the exercises in his cell. This was the last time that his family saw him alive.


On January 2, 2001, at 2 a.m., Yu died in a hospital. An inmate said Yu was put behind a cage during his hunger strike and according to another practitioner, on one occasion, Yu was injected with an unknown drug, possibly an anesthetic or something similar, after he refused to co-operate with the police. The policemen alleged that the drug would make Yu behave himself.


On January 3, Yu's wife was brought to the crematorium from her cell to see her husband's body. They said that an autopsy had to be performed on the body no matter whether consent was obtained from his family members or not. Yu's wife had no choice but to sign the autopsy document.


(Reported on January 29, 2001)

type=Case,Death; type=Detention Center,Siping Detention Center; location=Jilin, Siping

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved