Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Tian Baozhen Died from Torture and Punitive Force-Feeding  
Print  E-mail 


Tian Baozhen, female, 40, an engineer of the Hubei Textile Design Institute at Yuejiazui in Wuchang District of Wuhan City, Hubei Province


Location of Torture and Death:


1.      The Tiananmen Police Substation, Beijing

2.      The Xuanwu Detention Center, Beijing




1.      The Director and the policemen of the Tiananmen Police Substation, Beijing

2.      The Director and the staff at the Detention Center, Beijing


A Brief Report of the Incident:


In mid-November 2000, Ms. Tian Baozhen went to appeal to the government to end the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners. On the morning of November 20, she was arrested and detained in the Beijing Tiananmen Police Substation where she was beaten by the policemen. That afternoon, Ms. Tian was transferred to Xuanwu Detention Center. She went on a hunger strike to protest the maltreatment, and she demanded her immediate release. On the third day of her hunger strike, the staff of the detention center started to punitively force-feed her. When Ms. Tian refused the force-feeding, she was beaten and was slapped in the face. While force-feeding Ms. Tian, the staff in the detention center forced her to sit against a wall: one person grabbed her by the hair and held her arms behind her back: two people stepped on both of her legs, and another person roughly jabbed a tube into her stomach. Ms. Tian suffered much from the inhumane treatment and was left in a seriously deteriorated health condition.


Later, Ms. Tian was transferred to Henan Public Security Bureau. At the sight of her extreme physical weakness due to her hunger strike and the inhumane abuse she had suffered, the Henan police released her. With her great fortitude, Ms. Tian got on the train headed for Wuhan City of Hubei Province. After she arrived at the Wuhan railway station, she was too feeble to even move, so she made a phone call home. Her husband brought her back by taxi and carried her on his shoulders up the stairs to their home on the fifth floor. Afterwards, Ms. Tian coughed continuously and had a great pain in her chest.


On December 11, 2000, she died due to the physical abuse received while in detention in Beijing. At that time, the dark bruises on her arms due to the police's beating and kicking were still shocking to see.


type=Case,Death; type=Case,Women; type=Detention Center,Xuanwu Detention Center; location=Beijing

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved