Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
A Young Woman Died from Inhuman Torture and Abusive Force-Feeding After 4-Month-Detention  
Print  E-mail 


Yang Mei, female, 23, an employee of the Credit Corporation of Xiaowang Village, Cangzhou City


Location of Torture and Death:


Cangzhou 2nd Detention Center, Cangzhou City, Hebei Province




1.      Zhang Guowen, Head of Cangzhou 2nd Detention Center, Cangzhou City, Hebei Province. Phone: 0317-2062329

2.      Jia Dehua, Director of the “610 Office”, the special government unit in charge of Falun Gong persecution, of Cangzhou City, Hebei Province. Phone: 0317-2026851 (52)

3.      Song Jinsheng, Vice Head (in charge of Falun Gong persecution) of Cangzhou City Police Department, Hebei Province. Phone: 0317-2026851 (52)

4.      Cai Hua, Vice Secretary of Cangzhou Municipal Party Committee


A Brief Report of the Incident:


Ms. Yang Mei was arrested in July 2001 for distributing Falun Gong materials. She was detained in the Cangzhou No. 2 Detention Center.


At the detention center, the guards repeatedly tortured Ms. Yang to force her to reveal the source of her Falun Gong materials. They locked her onto a metal bed with handcuffs and shackles for one month. This torture device is notoriously called the “Death Bed”. The four limbs are stretched out and tied to the four corners of an icy-cold metal bed. The victims cannot move at all, nor are they allowed to get up to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. They force fed her by inserting a tube into her stomach, then left it there during the whole month except when they took it out once every five or six days. As a result, Ms. Yang lost control of her urination and bowel movements. Her legs and feet were so severely swollen that her legs became thick and her feet deformed. Several layers of her skin peeled away. Someone saw her condition on September 2nd and reported that her rubbed off skin had not grown back at that time.


On October 10th, 2001, demanding only the basic right to live as a human being, Ms. Yang and ten other Falun Gong practitioners started a hunger strike. All of them were cuffed to Death Beds with handcuffs and shackles. The handcuffs and shackles they put on were the ones used for criminals awaiting the death penalty and are usually wrapped with cloth-strips, however, the ones put on Falun Gong practitioners were bare metal. During the hunger strike, the police ordered an old cook with no medical knowledge at all to be in charge of the force-feeding. None of the tools used were sanitized. The food consisted of icy cold salt water, flour paste, or diluted milk. The quantity and thickness of the force-feeding solution depended on their moods at the time. Practitioners' whole bodies trembled from the coldness after each force-feeding. During force-feedings, a practitioner was locked into a tiny cell and handcuffed to a metal bed or metal chair. In order to intensify the persecution, the police expanded the number of tiny cells and purchased 6 more metal chairs exclusively for torturing Ms Yang and other practitioners. They ordered the inmates to hold down the practitioners' heads and pinch their cheeks and noses, often tearing their skin in the process. In this manner they forced fed the unclean, nutritiously deficient, unsafe icy cold liquid into practitioners' stomachs like dumping trash, without caring about a person's life or death at all. The force-feeding was performed again on the afternoon of the 19th, and Ms. Yang passed away at around 6 o'clock on the morning of October 20th, 2001. Thus, Ms. Yang, a formerly healthy young woman, was tortured to death within the short period of 4 months.


The police strictly blocked the news after Ms. Yang was murdered. When Ms. Yang's parents went to visit her in the morning, the police lied to them, not mentioning Ms. Yang's death at all. At 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon, after finishing their arrangements, the police informed the parents of Ms. Yang's death. Officials from both the city government and police department showed up and admitted that they were responsible for not saving Ms. Yang's life promptly. The government forced the family to settle the matter privately and to not reveal it to the public. The authorities told Ms. Yang's family members that if they wanted an autopsy, they must cremate the body immediately afterwards. The police also put Ms. Yang's mother under house arrest, and did not allow her any outside contact. A police car and plain-clothes policemen monitored her house round the clock. Ms. Yang's mother was not even allowed to see her daughter's body before the cremation.


From an on-sight inspection of Ms. Yang's body, one could see bruises on her chest, red spots all over her body, and swelling in both of her hands. The police told Ms. Yang's father that they were not responsible, that he had better not look into this matter, and that any requests for damage compensation would not be considered.

type=Case, Death; location=Hebei,Cangzhou; type=Detention Center, Cangzhou 2nd Detention Center; type=Case, Women

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved