Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Shi Shengquan Died of Persecution  
Print  E-mail 

Mr. Shi Shengquan was 40 years old, and an employee of the Guizhou Province Cement Factory. In December 1999, in order to speak out against the persecution of Falun Gong, Mr. Shi submitted his resignation to his employer.[1] His employer did not accept his resignation. He twice went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice Falun Gong, hoping that his sincerity would move the government to recant its position. Both times, Mr. Shi was arrested and detained for many days at the Nanming District Detention Center in Guiyang City. Soon after the second time, he was sent to the Ergezhai Brainwashing Center in Guiyang City.


After his release from the brainwashing center, the police repeatedly harassed and mistreated him. They forced his employer to deprive him of all of his employment benefits, including vacations and salary increases. The local neighborhood administration and the local police took turns harassing him at his home. They established a police observation point at his door, and encouraged his neighbors to report on his daily life. His kind-hearted neighbors would not cooperate with the police, but instead often provided him with information to protect him from harassment.


After Mr. Shi was forced to go back to work, he was arrested twice while at his job. The first time, his employer’s security department sent him to be held under house arrest in Xifeng. The second time, the Nanming District Party Political and Judiciary Committee secretary, Yang Guozhong, arrested him and took him to a brainwashing center again. There Yang forced him to write a Guarantee Statement[2] to stop practicing Falun Gong.


After Mr. Shi was released from the brainwashing center, the local “610 Office,” a police officer from the Gantang Substation, the Zhongcao Neighborhood Administration, and representatives from his employer constantly came to his home to harass, threaten, and monitor him. He lived under incredible stress, which broke his spirit and destroyed him physically. He died on November 28, 2003, when he could no longer bear the pressure.

[1]In order to avoid involving his employer, should he be arrested, he submitted his resignation. However, his employer would not accept his resignation, because releasing him would leave a practitioner at large to possibly appeal. The authorities often require an employer to keep practitioners under close surveillance in their work units. Employers and other organizations are thus extensions of the pervasive CCP police system.


[2] A statement to declare that one is remorseful for practicing Falun Gong and guarantees not to practice Falun Gong again, not to go to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong, and never again to associate with any Falun Dafa practitioners.


    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved