Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Li Baojie Tortured to Death on April 8, 2005  
Print  E-mail 

Ms. Li Baojie, female, 32 years old, lived in Panshan County, Panjin City, Liaoning Province. She was arrested and detained many times for practicing Falun Gong.

On May 25, 2003, officers of the Panjin City State Security Division arrested Ms. Li; her husband, Mr. Pan Shuxue; and more than ten other Falun Gong practitioners. They ransacked Ms. Li's home and confiscated 20,000 Yuan. To protest the persecution, Ms. Li went on a hunger strike for more than ten days in the Panjin City Detention Center, until she vomited blood. She was released after her family paid a fine of 1,000 Yuan.

In order to make a living, Ms. Li and her husband went to her sister's home in Dalian City and worked at physical labor jobs. Policemen Zhou Laixing and Li Yonghua from Panjin City still pursued them. On August 19, 2004, police arrested her husband on his way to work. When he shouted "Falun Gong is good!" policeman Li beat him, and his mouth started to bleed. The police handcuffed his hands behind his back, ransacked their home, and arrested Ms. Li as well. They were both sentenced to three years of forced labor. Ms. Li was detained at the Masanjia Labor Camp.

Ms. Li held a hunger strike at the labor camp, and guards extorted 600 Yuan from her family for force-feeding. She refused to recite the camp rules, so some guards instructed some collaborators[1] to drag her into a dark cell and abuse her. When Ms. Li developed severe symptoms, her family requested a checkup for her at the hospital; guards then took this as a chance to extort more money from her family.

On April 7, 2005, Ms. Li was sent to Shenyang City Medical University First Hospital. The labor camp called her family and told them that she was in critical condition. The guards asked her family members go to the hospital and pay for the surgery. Her family refused to pay, and said, "You tortured her to this condition; you must be responsible for her treatment." Her family asked to take her home. Camp guard Xie said, "Not today. You have to wait until tomorrow." At that time, Ms. Li had difficulty breathing and could not talk coherently. She asked that no one sign any papers without her consent.

The next day, April 8, 2005, the labor camp agreed to release her when she was on her last breath. Ms. Li died that day.

[1] Collaborator: Former Falun Gong practitioner who has given up his practice under severe pressure and torture, and assists the authorities in the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners.


type=case,death;type=case,women;type=labor camp,Masanjia Labor Camp;location=Liaoning, Shenyang

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved