Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Mr. Cui Jianbo from Dehui City, Jilin Province Dies as a Result of Torture-Induced Illness  
Print  E-mail 

Mr. Cui Jianbo was a Falun Gong practitioner from Group Three, Banlasan Village, Chaoyang Township, Dehui City, Jilin Province. After he began practicing Falun Gong in October 1998, he miraculously recovered from tuberculosis. Moreover, he quit gambling and became a person of high moral character. He followed "Truth-Compassion-Tolerance" in his daily life and witnessed the wonderfulness and magnificence of Falun Gong himself.

After Jiang's regime started the persecution of Falun Gong on July 20, 1999, Mr. Cui and his family have been persecuted on numerous occasions.

September 24, 1999, was the Chinese mid-Autumn festival and also a busy harvest day. On that day, Mr. Cui was working in his fields when the local police used a ploy to get him to come to the police station. Because he remained steadfast in practicing Falun Gong, he was illegally detained at the Dehui City Detention Center for 103 days.

On New Year's Day 2000, Mr. Cui went to Beijing to appeal for justice for Falun Gong. He was arrested in Tiananmen Square. Because he refused to give the police his name and address, he was brutally tortured. The police shocked him with electric batons. He was able to break out of police custody ten days later.

On May 9, 2001, he was arrested in Baiqi Town, Shulan City, when he was clarifying the facts about Falun Gong to the public. He was sent to the Nanshan Detention Center in Shulan City, where he was brutally tortured. He went on a hunger strike to protest the illegal detention and torture. Sixteen days later he was near death. The detention center did not want to take responsibility for his death and asked his family to pick him up. At that time, the prison doctors and police all thought his days were numbered. However, he miraculously recovered after he returned home.

On March 14, 2003, the police from the Dehui City Police Department and the Chaoyang Township Police Station ransacked Mr. Cui's home. They also took Mr. Cui and his wife away and sent the couple to a detention center. Mr. Cui went on a hunger strike. Approximately ten days later, he was extremely weak and once again near death. The detention center released him only after the hospital confirmed that he was dying.

After his release, Cui recovered a bit. But he was still very weak. His wife was sentenced to a labor camp for her belief in Falun Gong, which was also a great mental burden for him. He also needed to take care of the housework with his emaciated body. Toward the end of 2003, his condition worsened. He was rushed to the hospital twice. The doctors said his lungs had seriously deteriorated. After he came back from the hospital, he struggled for another 6 months. Suffering from his torture-induced illness, he passed away on February 14, 2004.  He was only 41 years old.

type=case, death;type=detention center,Nanshan Detention Center; location=Jilin, Shulan

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved