Cases Reports
Highlighted Cases
Media Alert

Violations in China
Murder and Execution
Violence Leading to Disabilities
Violence against Women
Psychiatric Torture
Persecution of Families
Violence against Persons with Disabilies
Right to Education
Violence against Foreign Citizens

Psychiatric Torture
Religious Intolerance
Freedom of Expression
Arbitrary Detention
Violence Against Children
Violence Against Families
Violence Against Women
Human Rights Defender
Right to Health
Right to Education
Independent Judges and Lawyers

China Reports
Labor Camps
Cases By Province

Deprived CitizenShip
Internally Displaced ( IDP )

Falun Gong Reports
United Nations Reports
Human Rights Reports

Falun Info. Center
Justice for Falun Gong
Friends of Falun Gong
United Nations
Tortured and Sentenced for Revealing the Persecution on the Internet or to the Western Media  
Print  E-mail 

1.     University Lecturer Persecuted for Posting Article on the Internet


Mr. Shao Mingxue, male, 33, a lecturer at the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, resident of Haidian District of Beijing.


In October 2000, Mr. Shao became a lecturer at the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics after finishing postdoctoral work at Beijing Normal University. Because he had posted on the Internet his “Solemn Statement”, expressing his intention to continue practicing Falun Gong, one night in February 2001 officials from the National Security Bureau (State Security Department) abducted him from his home. The Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics intended to dismiss him and wanted him to be demoted to his former postdoctoral research position simply because he practices Falun Gong. In April 2001, when Mr. Shao’s parents and parents-in-law came from Shandong and Gansu Provinces to Beijing to visit, the National Security Bureau barred them from meeting him.


2.     Ms. Zhang Juying Tortured for Distributing Falun Gong Materials



Ms. Zhang Juying, female, resident of Guizhou Province.


In October 1999, Ms. Zhang was detained for 15 days for going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. As a result, her workplace punished her by reducing her salary to minimum wage, which was barely enough to cover her daily expenses. Ms. Zhang was arrested again in November 2000 for handing out materials containing information about the persecution of Falun Gong in China. This time, however, she was detained for 45 days in the Nanming District Detention Center in Guiyang City. Ms. Zhang was eventually released on bail.


In June 2001, officers from the Shachong Street Police Station in Nanming District went to Ms. Zhang’s workplace, handcuffed her, and took her away without notifying her supervisor or family. They sent her directly to the Zhongba Women’s Labor Camp in Guizhou Province. Ms. Zhang’s husband went to the police station to obtain an explanation for his wife’s arrest, but the deputy commanding officer, Yao Yong, had no good reason. Yao threatened him that if he told anybody about what had happened to Ms. Zhang, their daughter (who is also a Falun Gong practitioner) would also be sent to the labor camp. Ms. Zhang started a hunger strike on her first day in the labor camp, taking neither food nor water. As a result, she was force-fed and brutally tortured.


3.     Macao Businessman Arrested and Detained for Writing Articles about Falun Gong on the Internet



Mr. Zhang Yuhui, male, 36, businessman and resident of Macao.


In November 1999, Mr. Zhang visited Guangdong Province on business. He was arrested on his way back to Macao for the “crime” of posting articles supportive of Falun Gong on China-based and overseas Internet websites. Mr. Zhang was taken into custody on November 10, 1999 and detained for three months in the 2nd Detention Center of Kaiping City, Guangdong Province.


On December 18, 2000, Mr. Zhang was arrested in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, for posting pro-Falun Gong remarks on the Internet when Chinese Chairman Jiang Zemin was visiting Macao. He was charged with “inciting activities to subvert state power” and has not yet been released.


4.     Practitioners Sentenced for Distributing Falun Gong-Related Materials Downloaded from the Internet


1.      Xue Hairong, resident of Beijing.

2.      Hang Xue, resident of Beijing.


Xue Hairong received a seven-year sentence for downloading and distributing Falun Gong-related materials from the Internet. Xue was sentenced alongside four others at the Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People’s Court. Some 11 practitioners, including one named Hang Xue, received sentences at the Fengtai District People’s Court for “organizing illegal gatherings of Falun Gong ... followers, and printing and distributing materials propagating the Falun Gong ... doctrine.” Furthermore, 21 practitioners accused of similar actions received the sentences at the People’s Courts of Haidian, Fangshan, and Tongzhou.


5.     Students Sentenced to 2-6 Years in Prison for Distributing Falun Gong Materials Downloaded from the Internet



1.      Cui Hai, student in Wuhan City, Hubei Province.

2.      Peng Cong, student in Wuhan City, Hubei Province.


Cui Hai and Peng Cong were sentenced, along with seven other students, to jail terms of between two and six years under the charge of “organizing and using an evil religion to disrupt law enforcement”. They had merely distributed Falun Gong-related materials downloaded from the Internet and encouraged others to join in peaceful appeals for Falun Gong.



6.     Mr. Zhang Jun Arrested for Search on the Internet



Mr. Zhang Jun, resident of Dalian City, Liaoning Province.


Mr. Zhang was detained at the Development District Detention Center because spies detected that he had read news about Falun Gong on the Internet. His home was searched. His wife had just given birth to a child; their lives became very difficult.


7.     A College Student Arrested while Trying to Contact Falun Gong Practitioners on the Internet



Mr. Wei Wei, male, student, resident of Dalian City, Liaoning Province.


Dalian police arrested Mr. Wei after he used OICQ (Internet-based communication software) to contact a policeman who pretended to be a Falun Gong practitioner, and met him after making an appointment with him.



8.     Yang Jin, Seventh Grade Student, Dismissed from School for Practicing Falun Gong



Mr. Yang Jin, male, 16, student, resident of Sanhe City, Hebei Province.


On December 20, 2000, Mr. Yang’s teacher, the dean of studies, the school principal, the Party Secretary of the school, and several other school officials each attempted to force Mr. Yang to give up his practice of Falun Gong. Mr. Yang was threatened with expulsion if he continued to practice Falun Gong. He refused to renounce his belief in Falun Gong and as a result was expelled from school.


When Mr. Yang’s expulsion from school was later exposed on the Internet, policeman Yan from Beicheng Police Substation of Langfang City Police Station arrested Mr. Yang and his mother, Ms. Li Fengxia, at their home on March 20, 2001. Mr. Yang’s home was ransacked twice. Police interrogated Mr. Yang for five hours.



9.      Dr. Li Yantao was Fired and Sentenced to Three Years of Forced Labor for Publicizing Torture


Dr. Li Yantao, male, 32, Ph.D. researcher in Qingdao Oceanography Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Science.


In July 2000, Dr. Li learned that the Jiaozhou City government’s Political and Legal Committee had secretly sent more than ten Falun Gong practitioners to a mental hospital to be tortured. In order to help secure their release, Dr. Li made this information public by downloading it from the Internet and spreading it among people who did not know about it. As a result, he was detained for a month. Dr. Li’s employer bailed him out in August 2000. To punish him, the Research Institute suspended him from work for three months. At the end of the suspension, however, they refused to let him return to work.


During that period, Dr. Li was followed constantly and not allowed to contact other practitioners. On January 1, 2001, while Dr. Li was talking with several other practitioners in his apartment, several officers from the Qingdao City Police Department broke in and arrested everyone in the room. Dr. Li was sentenced to three years of forced labor. He is currently detained in the Licun Labor Camp.


10.             Six Qinghua University Students Sentenced to Long Jail Terms for Distributing Falun Gong Materials on the Internet



1.      Ms. Yao Yue, female, 29, graduate student of the class of 1996 in the Microelectronics Institute, Qinghua University, Beijing; Chinese Communist Party member; was awarded the title of “Excellent Graduate of Beijing City”.

2.      Mr. Liu Wenyu, male, 29, Yao Yue's husband, a graduate student of the class of 1997 in the Heat Energy Department, Qinghua University, Beijing; was awarded the “Excellent Student Scholarship”.

3.      Mr. Meng Jun, male, 29, an associate lecturer in the Electrical Engineering Department, Qinghua University, Beijing; awarded an MS degree by the Electronics Department of Qinghua University.

4.      Mr. Wang Xin, male, 25, Ph.D. student of the class of 1999 in the Precision Instrument and Mechanics Department, Qinghua University, Beijing; was awarded “Excellent Cadre of the School,” “Second Grade Excellent Student,” “Haolaixi Schoolarship,” and the “Xiyueyuying” Scholarship; former vice-president of his department’s Science Association.

5.      Ms. Dong Yanhong, female, 30, awarded a BS degree, Qinghua University; winner of a national calligraphy contest.

6.      Mr. Wang Xuefei, male, a graduate student of Qinghua University; from Shanghai.


At 9:00 p.m. on December 13, 2001, the Beijing Intermediate People’s Court secretly put six Falun Gong practitioners on trial. These illegally prosecuted practitioners were Ms. Yao Yue, Mr. Wang Xuefei, Mr. Meng Jun, Mr. Wang Xin, Ms. Dong Yanhong, and Mr. Liu Wenyu. They were accused of downloading information about Falun Gong from the Internet and spreading it via the Internet, hanging up Falun Gong banners, and releasing helium-filled balloons. At the end of the trial, Ms. Yao was sentenced to twelve years in jail, Mr. Wang Xuefei eleven years, Mr. Meng ten years, Mr. Wang Xin nine years, Ms. Dong five years, and Mr. Liu three years.


Before the trial, on September 3, 1999, Ms. Yao Yue was forcibly taken to the police station at Qinghua University because she had openly practiced Falun Gong exercises on campus. At the police station, she was interrogated into the early hours of the morning. The Chinese Communist Party and the university then expelled her. In the early morning of January 1, 2001, policemen from Zhongguancun Police Station broke into Ms. Yao’s house and arrested her, then detained her at the No. 7 Division of the Beijing Police Department (a branch that specializes in serious criminal cases) until the December 2001 trial.


From January 15 to January 30, 2000, Mr. Liu Wenyu was illegally held under house arrest at the No. 200 Nuclear Testing Base because he refused to renounce Falun Gong. As the right to appeal is guaranteed under the Chinese constitution, in June 2000, he went to Tiananmen Square to appeal to the central government to stop persecuting Falun Gong. Nevertheless, the police detained him for one month under charges of “suspected illegal gathering.” Later, Qinghua University authorities dismissed him from the university.  In the early morning of January 1, 2001, policemen from the Zhongguancun Police Station broke into his house and arrested him, then detained him at the No. 7 Division of the Beijing Police Department until the December 2001 trial.


During September and October of 1999, police from the Qinghua University Police Station and the Beijing Police Department detained Mr. Meng Jun twice. Because he refused to renounce Falun Gong, he was dismissed from his job as an associate lecturer in the Electrical Engineering Department.  In June 2000, he went to Tiananmen Square to peacefully appeal against the government’s persecution of Falun Gong.  Even though this right to appeal is granted by the constitution, he was detained for exercising it. At night of December 31, 2000, he was arrested by policemen from the Zhongguancun Police Station while posting Falun Gong materials on the street. He suffered inhuman beating and torture by the police at the Zhongguancun Police Station. He was later transferred to the No. 7 Division of the Beijing Police Department, where he was detained until the December 2001 trial.


In October 1999, Qinghua University authorities suspended Mr. Wang Xin’s schooling because he practiced Falun Gong. The university authorities threatened that “he would not be allowed to return to school until he completely abandoned Falun Gong.”  He was arrested in April 2001 and detained at the No. 7 Division of the Beijing Police Department until the December 2001 trial.


The Neighborhood Committee of the Qinghua University’s Southwest Building listed Ms. Dong Yanhong as a key target because she refused to give up her practice of Falun Gong. In January 2001, the neighborhood committee tricked her into going to see the committee by saying that they just wanted to have a chat with her. Authorities then detained her until the December 2001 trial.


11.             Ms. Pan Juying Tortured with Poisonous Snakes for Refusing to Reveal the Source of Falun Gong Flyers



Ms. Pan Juying, female, 37, resident of Huguo village, Anlu city, Hubei province, employee of the Huarong supermarket of Fu Cheng Department Store in Anlu City.


In October 1999, Ms. Pan went to Beijing to appeal to the central government to stop the persecution of Falun Gong. Consequently, her company, Huarong supermarket of Fu Cheng Department Store, terminated her employment


In the morning of August 9, 2001, police officer Chen Xinrun of the Anlu City Public Security Bureau’s Government Security Division, together with three men and one woman, broke into Ms. Pan’s home, intending to trick her into revealing the source of the Falun Gong flyers she had been distributing. Ms. Pan resisted and was forcefully taken away without any formal charges.


In the evening of August 10, the Director of Public Security Bureau of Anlu City, Ke Jicheng, and Chen Xinrun secretly took Ms. Pan to the guesthouse on the second floor of the National Tax Bureau. They first pinned her to the ground, then crushed and smashed her toes one by one with their leather boots. Then they started to squash her feet, ankles, and calves. After that, Ke Jicheng, with the help of police officers Li Ning and others, tied up Ms. Pan with a nylon rope, while her hands were handcuffed behind her back. They hung her up from behind her back, whipped her face with ropes, slapped her face, and forcefully poured water into her mouth while squeezing her nose shut.


At 1:00 p.m. on August 11, Chen Xinrun brought in two poisonous snakes, called cauliflower snakes, one big and one small. The big one was about 4.5 centimeters in diameter and about one meter long. Ms. Pan’s hands were tied inside the snake bag for more than ten minutes, and Chen Xinrun shook the bag and tried to make the snakes bite Ms. Pan. He also tried to get a policewoman to put the snakes inside Ms. Pan’s pants, but did not succeed.


Policeman Li Ning threatened: “Pan Juying, what we want to do is to make you crazy, make you run on the street naked, make other people say you have become crazy and that this is … insanity caused by practicing Falun Gong.” Policeman Shen Chao pointed at Ms. Pan and said: “We’ll torture you until you hang on to your dear life with a thread over death, and only have one breath left. Then we will send you to the mental hospital and force your family to pay for the medical treatment, which will financially ruin your family.”


In the morning of August 12, Ms. Pan was taken back to the Public Security Bureau. In the afternoon of August 13, authorities secretly transferred her to the Guest House of the Bureau of Finance. Policewoman Chen Xidong used the rope previously used for hanging to slap Ms. Pan and further tortured her to make her reveal the source of the flyers.


At last, when Ms. Pan was on the verge of death, policemen Shen Chao and others nervously decided to hide the ropes and handcuffs and release her.


Later, after the policemen’s inhuman torture of Ms. Pan was exposed on the Internet, the police of Anlu city became infuriated. They launched a large-scale search for the Falun Gong practitioners who might have transmitted the information through the Internet. On November 21, 2001, the police arrested Ms. Pan again from her home and sent her to Shayang Labor Camp in Hubei Province for further persecution.



12.             Liu Jianli Detained More Than Three Years for Telling the Truth to Western Journalists


Mr. Liu Jianli, male, in his 30s, an engineer of the Linnancang Mine, Yutian County, Tangshan City, Hebei Province.


After July 20, 1999, Mr. Liu went to Beijing. At Tiananmen Square, in front of both domestic and overseas reporters and bystanders, he exposed the fact that the Chinese TV had portrayed a thief as a Falun Gong practitioner to deceive viewers. He also gave his business cards to Western journalists. With Mr. Liu’s business card, an American journalist visited the Chinese Foreign Ministry and asked them why they fabricated news. Because of this, Mr. Liu was arrested and escorted back to Tangshan City. He was first detained at the Tangshan City Detention Center, and then transferred to the Tangshan City Mental Hospital for further persecution. After six months in the mental hospital, he was released after his family paid a 5,000 Yuan bail. In 2001, the “610 Office” of the Kailuan Coal Mine Bureau sent him to the brainwashing center of the Tangshan Textile University because he refused to give up Falun Gong. After being released from the brainwashing class, he was again sent to the Tangshan City Detention Center and then transferred back to the Tangshan City Mental Hospital. Now, he is once more being held in the brainwashing center of the Tangshan Textile University. It has been reported that Mr. Liu became paralyzed as a result of the torture. We are very concerned about Mr. Liu’s situation and hereby request an urgent action by the United Nations to safeguard his life.


13.             Ms. Zhang Xueling Sentenced to a Three-Year Term in Labor Camp for Exposing the Torture and Death of Her Mother



Ms. Zhang Xueling, female, 33, resident of Xujia Small Village, Beiguan Street, Weicheng District, Weifang City, Shandong Province.


Ms. Zhang is the daughter of Ms. Chen Zixiu, who was beaten to death in the Zhuangzhongyuan Detention Center on February 21, 2000. After her mother’s death, Ms. Zhang sought justice for her mother.


Ms. Zhang submitted an article, “Dear Mom! Where Can I Find You Now?” to a Falun Gong website. Her article was posted on February 29, 2000. She accepted an interview with Ian Johnson, Staff Reporter for The Wall Street Journal, regarding her mother’s death. Ms. Chen’s death shocked the world after it was reported in The Asian Wall Street Journal on April 20, 2000, in an article entitled, “Practicing Falun Gong Was a Right, Ms. Chen Said, Up to Her Last Day.” Later, the United Nations, Amnesty International, the U.S. State Department, and many human rights organizations cited Ms. Chen’s death as a prime example of China’s human rights abuses.


On the afternoon of April 3, 2000, the Public Security Department summoned Ms. Zhang for questioning on “suspicion of collaborating with the enemy.” During the interrogation, the municipal Public Security Bureau’s chief, Mr. Li, told Ms. Zhang that her actions had caused damage to the country’s image. The interrogation lasted for 48 hours. On the evening of April 5, Ms. Zhang was released, but subjected to 24-hour close surveillance by the authorities.  She was followed closely even when she went to the public bathhouse or went out to buy bread. On April 11, Ms. Zhang was summoned again. The questioning was much the same as on April 3, but she was subsequently subjected to the humiliation of being locked up for 15 hours with a man in a small room that was less than four square meters.  At 10:00 a.m. on April 17, public security officers forcefully took Ms. Zhang from her home to “prevent” her from contacting the media to reveal more facts. This time, the authorities detained her for 15 days on charges of disturbing public order.


In between her detentions, for the following five months, Ms. Zhang went to different government agencies in Beijing and Weifang City to seek justice for her mother and ask for both the death certificate and the forensic report on the torture of her mother. These governmental agencies included:


1.      The District Police Department

2.      The District Court

3.      The District Representative Office of the People’s Congress

4.      The City Police Department

5.      The City Middle-Level People’s Court

6.      The City Investigation Bureau

7.      The City Administrative Office and Government Office

8.      The High-Level Province’s Investigation Bureau

9.      The Province’s Administrative Office and Government Office

10.  The Province’s Police Department

11.  The Offices of State Council and Central Government

12.  The Highest Procurator Office

13.  The National Women’s Association

14.  The Bureau of Public Security (the State Police Department)

15.  The Supreme People’s Court

16.  The Office of the National People’s Congress

17.  The Bureau of Justice (the State Judicial Department)

18.  The Judicial Department of the State Council

19.  The Supervisory Department of the State Committee of Discipline Examination


All detailed answers from these departments were written down by Ms. Zhang, submitted to the Falun Gong website, and posted on September 5, 2000. On September 13, 2000, she submitted an article entitled “Why Did You Wield the Clubs in Your Hands?”, a letter addressed to the alleged murderers of her mother, which was posted on the Falun Gong website on the same day.  She again accepted an interview with The Wall Street Journal’s Ian Johnson, whose report of Ms. Zhang’s story, entitled “Daughter in China Follows Tortuous Path to Seek Justice”, was published in The Wall Street Journal on October 2, 2000. Mr. Johnson’s series of articles won a Pulitzer Prize for international reporting in 2001.


Because of her appeal for justice for her mother, as well as exposing and revealing the atrocities her mother suffered as a Falun Gong practitioner, on April 24, 2001, Ms. Zhang was arrested and sentenced to a three-year term in Wangcun Labor Camp near Zibo City in Shandong Province. Approximately 400 Falun Gong practitioners are imprisoned there.


Related News Reports:

1.      The Asian Wall Street Journal: “Practicing Falun Gong Was A Right, Ms. Chen Said, Up To Her Last Day” by Ian Johnson, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal, 4/20/2000

2.      The Asian Wall Street Journal: “China Detains Daughter Of Dead Falun Gong Follower” by Matt Forney, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal, 4/23/2000

3.      The Wall Street Journal: “Daughter In China Follows Tortuous Path To Seek Justice” by Ian Johnson, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal, 10/2/2000

4.      The Wall Street Journal: “Daughter Of Falun Gong [Practitioner] Is Sent Without Trial To Work Camp” by Charles Hutzler, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal, 5/10/2001


type=Case, Freedom of Expression; Location=Beijing; Location=Guizhou; Location=Guangdong; Location=Hubei; Location=Liaoning; Location=Hebei; Location=Shandong; type=group,Qinghua University; Location=Beijing

    ©2003-2007 Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group, All Rights Reserved